With the Hades-like heat dying down for just a little while, we decided to suggest this delicious mango bread recipe from the famous Dorie Greenspan. Usually going near the oven during the summer would result in some sort of fatality but this time it results in nothing but delicious bread. Check it out before the temperature rise yet again.
• 3 large eggs
• 3/4 cup canola oil
• 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup light brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 cups diced fresh mango
• grated zest of 1/2 a lemon
OPTIONAL: 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg + 3/4 cup mixed raisins, coarsely chopped + 3/4 cup cashews, coarsely chopped.
- Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8 1/2- x- 4 1/2- inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Place the pan on two regular baking sheets stacked one on top of the other to prevent the bottom of the bread from over baking.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry, and using a spatula, mix until well blended.
- Stir in the chopped mango, raisins, cashews (if using) and lemon zest. Scrape the batter into the pan, and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
- Bake the bread for 1 hour 15 min. to 1 hour 30 min., or until the top is golden brown and a cake tester or thin knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
If the bread is getting too brown on top, cover it loosely with a tinfoil tent.
Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before running a knife around the sides of the pan and unmolding. Invert and cool to room temperature right side up on the rack.